- John looked around but he couldn't see the monkey.
- I searched everywhere I could think of.
- I'm going back to school.
- Come in!
- They built a house nearby.
- She took the child outside.
here 和 there 是常見的地方副詞，會透露出與講話者的距離。當這類副詞與行進動詞一起使用時，here 有「朝向講話者」、「和講話者一起」之意；而 there 有「遠離講話者」、「沒有和講話者一起」之意 。
|The table is in here.||跟我一起來，我們會一起去看到它。|
|Put it there.||把它放到遠離我的地方。|
|The table is in there.||走進去；你會自己看到。|
here 和 there 會與介系詞搭配使用，形成許多常見的副詞片語。
- What are you doing up there?
- Come over here and look at what I found!
- The baby is hiding down there under the table.
- I wonder how my driver's license got stuck under here.
當句子以驚嘆號結尾，或是需要做出強調語氣時，here 和 there 就會放在句首。如果主詞是名詞，句型會是副詞 + 動詞 + 主詞；但如果主詞是代名詞，句型就會是副詞 + 代名詞 + 動詞。
- Here comes the bus!
- There goes the bell!
- There it is!
- Here they are!
|around||The marble rolled around in my hand.||I am wearing a necklace around my neck.|
|behind||Hurry! You are getting behind.||Let's hide behind the shed.|
|down||Mary fell down.||John made his way carefully down the cliff.|
|in||We decided to drop in on Jake.||I dropped the letter in the mailbox.|
|off||Let's get off at the next stop.||The wind blew the flowers off the tree.|
|on||We rode on for several more hours.||Please put the books on the table.|
|over||He turned over and went back to sleep.||I think I will hang the picture over my bed.|
以 where 結尾的地方副詞
以 where 結尾的地方副詞表達出位置的概念，而非特指一個地點或方向。
- I would like to go somewhere warm for my vacation.
- Is there anywhere I can find a perfect plate of spaghetti around here?
- I have nowhere to go.
- I keep running in to Sally everywhere!
以 wards 結尾的地方副詞
以 wards 結尾的地方副詞表達某個動作以特定方向移動。
- Cats don't usually walk backwards.
- The ship sailed westwards.
- The balloon drifted upwards.
- We will keep walking homewards until we arrive.
- He walked towards the car.
- She ran towards me.
- The child went indoors.
- He lived and worked abroad.
- Water always flows downhill.
- The wind pushed us sideways.